Slow Cooker Cider-Glazed Gammon
Slow cooker cider-glazed gammon. Gammon with vegetables cooked in slow cooker and served with delicious homemade cranberry sauce.
Makes 8 servings
- 4 1/2 pounds (4 kg) smoked middle gammon joint,soaked overnight
- 2 small yellow onions,peeled
- 30 whole cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- 10 peppercorns
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) medium-dry cider
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- For Cranberry Sauce:
- 3 cups (360 g) fresh cranberries
- 1 cup (180 g) caster sugar
- freshly squeezed juice of 2 clementines
- grated rind of 2 clementines
- 2 tablespoons port
- Drain smoked gammon and place in slow cooker.
- Stud the onions with 6 of cloves and add to slow cooker together with bay leaves and peppercorns.
- Pour over cold water to cover gammon.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on high-heat setting for 1 hour.
- Open the lid of slow cooker and skim off any scum form surface.Recover and cook for a further 4-5 hours.
- Check once during cooking and skim the surface.
- Using a slotted spoon,remove cooked gammon from slow cooker and place in a roasting pan.Allow to stand for 15 minutes until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile,prepare the glaze.In a small pan,combine cider and brown sugar.heat gently,stirring,until sugar dissolved.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes to make a sticky glaze.Remove from the heat,set aside and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450 F (225 C). Using a pair of scissors, snip the string of gammon and carefully slice of the rind a thin even layer of fat over the meat.
- Using a sharp knife,score the fat into a neat diamond pattern.Press a clove into the center of each diamond and spoon over the glaze.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes or until fat is brown.
- Remove baked gammon from the oven and set aside until ready to serve.
- Prepare the Cranberry Sauce:Clean slow cooker,then add all ingredients for cranberry sauce.
- Coon,uncovered,on high-heat setting,stirring, for 20 minutes until sugar has dissolved.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on high-heat setting for a further 1 1/2-2 hours or until cranberries are tender.
- Remove cooked cranberry sauce from slow cooker and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Serve cranberry sauce with cider-glazed gammon.