Slow cooker wine-braised beef short ribs.This is one of my favorite beef ribs recipe.Beef short ribs with vegetables,Dijon and Beaujolais wine cooked in slow cooker.Try to cook more slow cooker recipe>>>
Slow Cooker Wine-Braised Beef Short Ribs
Makes 10 servings
- 6 pounds (2.9 kg) beef short ribs,fat trimmed
- 1/2 cup (125 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions,peeled and chopped
- 2 medium carrots,peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk celery,chopped
- Dijon mustard
- 8 cloves garlic,peeled and halved
- 1 teaspoon dried herbes de Provence,crushed
- 14 1/2 oz (435 ml) diced tomatoes,undrained
- 1 cup(250 ml) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup (250 ml) Beaujolais wine
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a plastic bag,combine all-purpose flour,1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.Mix well.
- Add beef ribs,a few at a time,and shake well to coat.
- In a large nonstick skillet,heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Working in a batches,brown ribs on all sides. Remove browned ribs from the skillet and transfer to slow cooker.
- Drain and discard all but 2 tablespoons drippings from skillet.Add onions,carrots and celery and cook,stirring,for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in Dijon mustard and herbes de Provence.Cook,stirring,for a further 2 minutes.
- Remove vegetable mixture from the skillet and transfer to slow cooker.Stir in tomatoes,beef broth and wine.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on low-heat setting for 8-10 hours.
- Using a slotted spoon,remove cooked ribs and vegetables from slow cooker,reserving a cooking liquid, and transfer to serving platter.
- Cover cooked ribs and vegetables with aluminum foil and keep warm.
- For the sauce,skim fat from reserved cooking liquid,measure 3 cups (750 ml) cooking Discard the remaining cooking liquid.
- In saucepan, combine 3 cups (750 ml) cooking liquid and cornstarch.Cook,stirring,over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Cook,stirring,for a further 2 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Pour sauce over beef ribs and vegetable and serve.