French onion soup.This is very popular and delicious soup recipe!
Makes 4-6 servings
Makes 4-6 servings
- 6 large yellow onions,peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- kosher salt
- 2 cloves garlic,peeled and minced
- 8 cups (2 L) beef or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) dry vermouth
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dry thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 8 inch-thick (20cm) slices of French bread or baguette.
- 1 1/2 cups (370 g) grated Swiss Gruyere and Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan,heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat.
- Add sliced onions and toss well to coat with olive oil.
- Cook onions,stirring,until softened(for about 15-20 minutes).
- Increase heat to high.Add remaining olive oil and butter and cook,stirring, for a further 15 minutes or until onions become brown.
- Sprinkle with sugar and 1 teaspoon kosher salt.Continue to cook until the onions are well browned, about 10 to 15 more minutes.
- Stir in minced garlic and cook for a further 1 minute.
- Stir in dry vermouth to the pot and scrape up the browned bits on the bottom and sides of the pot.
- Stir in stock, bay leaves, and thyme.Reduce heat to low,cover saucepan and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper,
- Discard bay leaf.
- Stir in brandy.
- While the soup is simmering, line a sheet pan with aluminum foil.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F(225 C)with a rack in the upper third of the oven.
- Brush both sides of bread with olive oil.
- Place in preheated oven and toast until lightly browned, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove toasted bread from oven.
- Sprinkle toasted bread with grated cheeses and return to oven.Bake until the cheese is bubbly and lightly browned.
- Ladle French onion soup into the soup bowls. Top with cheesy toast and serve. More soup recipes>>>>