Chicken Breasts Florentine
This is chicken breasts on a bed of spinach.The dish is also called Gismonda..Makes 8 servings.
To cook this chicken breasts we take the following ingredients:
- flour for dressing
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 whole chicken breasts,boned and halved
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 pound plus 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds spinach,cooked and drained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 pound mushrooms,sliced
- chopped parsley
- Mix the flour,salt and pepper and dredge the chicken breasts with the seasoned flour.Dip them in the egg lightly beaten with the water and then coat with a mixture of the cheese and crumbs.Refrigerate 1 hour or more.
- In a large skillet heat 1/4 pound of the butter,add the chicken and brown on both sides.Lower heat,cover and cook until tender,about 25 minutes.
- meanwhile,chop the spinach coarsely and season with the lemon juice.Pile the spinach on a platter,arrange the chicken breasts on top and keep hot.
- To the skillet add 2 tablespoons of remaining butter and the mushrooms and saute until the mushrooms are tender.Spoon over the chicken.
- Brown the remaining butter in the same pan and pour through a fine sieve over the dish.Sprinkle with chopped parsley.